3.23.2011

The Week Before the Much-Needed Spring Break

T-minus 36 hours until I am on my way back to the lone star state to spend some time with the family, catch up on schoolwork and spend as many seconds as possible in the sun and amazing weather outside. It really couldn't be coming at a better time. It's always at this point in the semester where everyone is itching for a break from the monotony that is life. The anticipation has definitely risen the difficulty level of this week. Consistently warm weather and sunshine, here I come! But until then...



Critique: Vox Magazine's Travel Issue

My main contribution, the Branson feature.

 

 

So I began talking about the travel issue last week and the chaos of figuring out everything we were responsible for and then getting it all done. But alas, it did get done and is currently on the newsstands. I began this feature much "kitchier" (is the word that kept being used) and this final product looks fairly different. It's interesting because my very first draft of this feature is actually probably closest in tone to how it turned out, but then I was told to make two versions: one more kitchier, and the other scaled-back. I then took elements of both and ended on this.

Something that Jan and Erica spoke to me about today in my portfolio review was my creativity being compromised by my limitations with designing software. As an example, they pointed out how I originally wanted to do a flowing-type of music staff like this, but didn't think I'd be able to create one that looked good enough in Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, etc. Thus, I searched around for a non-copyrighted photo and could only find a straight music staff, took that into illustrator and made it look less formal, and used that on my original draft. When Erica was working with me and suggested to do a more playful staff that flowed, I explained to her how I had wanted to but didn't think I could. She then proceeded to create the purple music staff that ended up appearing in these two spreads.

I think that for my first feature design for Vox, with the copy and photos evolving, I am mostly proud of the results. It is hard working with so many different people who are seeing the story from different point of views, so I think a lot of working with an actual magazine staff is being flexible as a designer. Having to change your pieces multiple times as the story and the photos take on a more permanent tone is something you should just expect. Once you take on this attitude, I think designing for the publication becomes more fun and less of a chore.



Response: First Run-Through of Meredith Publications


Getting to see everyone's first design drafts of their magazines was both exciting and intimidating. I don't actually feel as though we're behind in our magazine, but I was surprised how much everyone had gotten done and how hard everyone had been working. The magazines are as follow:

Nosh: Wow. Y'all are organized! There are so many details and elements that are already included in the designs, which look very clean and polished. The color palette is definitely clearly defined. The magazine as a whole is looking very cohesive so far, and in fact I'm thinking that there could even be some more deviation from that cohesive look, in the features especially. The departments are working very well on the defined grid, and I think you are probably the furthest along. As far as working on the next drafts, I would say to make it look less "white" as a whole... put more color in the department pages other than just the small elements. It's coming along great!

Plaid Dad: I think we are truckin' along... pulling together a more cohesive look that combines all three of our visions. I'm not sure what everyone else thought about what we have thus far, but I do think we've come a long way in the last couple of weeks and have been working very closely with our publishers.

Cupboard: I think this publication has taken on a very interesting tone. I think that you have done a great job, considering some of the issues you have had, and I am really partial to the logo you ended up with at this point. I think you have some really beautiful feature spreads, but perhaps would maybe work on making your look more cohesive to really nail down the specific tone you are going for.

Modern Midwest: I'm a little sad that your logo was changed... I thought the double "M" was a very branding element. However, I do think the logo you think you're going to go with now fits the tone well. I think that you're working with a nice variety of templated grids and variety within your features. I would just be careful that this variety doesn't confuse the tone you are choosing.

Shindig: I am really "shindigging" all of  your design elements and colors. I think that they are very bold and yet not overpowering. Since you also have only three designers in your group, I'm sure you have also realized that each designer has more to do individually than if we had four designers. How are you liking this? Do you feel like it's easier to communicate with less people, or harder because there are less ways to split it up?


You Can't Miss... This!


I know I have said before how I wish I was more well-versed in architecture design. Well I especially wish this when it comes to making 24 rooms out of only 344 sq. feet. This would really come in handy. Architect Gary Chang in Hong Kong has figured out this amazing design where he has a guest room, a bathroom, a kitchen, library, master bedroom, etc. etc.






ALSO - Just for funsies...

The perfect chair for clingy-lovers. I just find it funny after watching so many people sitting on each others' laps.

What a simple design, and yet so useful.


Well, until next week...

Later alligator,
        - Kaylee

1 comment:

  1. Your Branson feature turned out good! The music staff looks nice. It really adds to the story. It was so nice to finally see the Travel Issue in print. Have a great time back home in Texas! I'm sure it's much needed!

    ReplyDelete